Well my 5-11 prediction was slightly off, right? Thanks to these 3 Wiseman. My 49ers went 2-14 in 2016 and was virtually last in almost every statistical category in the NFL. Once again this franchise is in shambles. As of yesterday 1/1/17, 49ers owner Jed York fired General Manager Trent Baalke and Head Coach Chip Kelly. For those of you who don’t know my feelings on this inevitable situation, please revisit posts in the past here on thecouchsports.com entitled:
This was inevitable and honestly Chip Kelly had no business being our head coach. See here’s the deal: Chip, was an amazing college coach. He won several of accolades with the Oregon Ducks and transformed them into a household brand. Once he left Oregon to coach the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013, his success transferred over to the pro ranks. The Eagles finished 10-6, winning the NFC East and made it to the playoffs for the first time since 2010. The Eagles would lose to the New Orleans Saints, but Chip was Herald as the savior of Philadelphia. You see folks, it’s a rarity when a college coach in the NCAA can mimic the same success they had in college and transfer that into the professional leagues. Only a handful of coaches in both the NBA and NFL has had success in both.
Chip was the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles for 3 years, and only making the post season in his inaugural season. This past summer, the San Francisco 49ers hired Chip Kelly to be the new head coach. This honestly was just a publicity stunt because rumors swirled around the hire.
was that 49ers CEO Jed York wanted to prove to people that he could hire a coach who was reputable around the league. So basically name recognition gets you a long way in the NFL. And that is parallel to our next rumor:
The 49ers wanted to hire Mike Shanahan as their coach. (Mike Shanahan was also rumored to be in the running, when the 49ers fired Jim Harbaugh).
- Well now for some facts.
- Chip Kelly and Trent Baalke bumped heads and had communication issues from the start. Chip Kelly wanted to draft rookie quarterback sensation Dak Prescott (who now plays for the Dallas Cowboys) but Baalke did not want a quarterback.
- The San Francisco 49ers owe around $69 million dollars to former coaches and assistant coaches. Coaches contracts are guaranteed so with Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly, The 49ers owe them between $27 million- $30 million dollars. Just on those two “1 and done coaches.”
- Daniel Brown of the San Jose Mercury news had a brilliant article today saying that in the past 3 years, Jed York has said the same exact thing after the firing of each move. Check it out here. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/02/49ers-jed-york-sounds-like-broken-record-while-talking-about-broken-franchise/
- The 49ers has 15 players that will be Unrestricted Free Agents (wait 16, because It is rumored that Colin Kaepernick will opt out) here’s list of those players and their 2016 stats: (all stats are from http://www.pro-football-reference.com)
1. DE Glenn Dorsey. 2016 Salary $4,362,500. 12 games played. 7 games started. 2o tackles. 1 sack
2. ILB Gerald Hodges. 2016 Salary $645,027. 15 games played. 12 games started. 52 tackles. 2 Interceptions for 27 total yards. 1 Forced Fomble. 1 fumble recovered. 3 sacks.
3. K Phil Dawson. 2016 salary $3,134,000. 18/21 Field Goals Made/Attempt. 33/34 xp made/attempt. Long 53 yards
4. QB Blaine Gabbert. 6 games played. 5 games started. 91/160 completion/attempts. 56.9%. 925 yards 5 touchdowns. 6 interceptions. 68.4% Quarterback Rating.
5. ILB Michael Wilhoute. 2016 Salary $1,671,000. 16 games played. 6 starts.2 passes deflected. 1 Forced fumble. 1 fumble recovered. 0.5 sack. 38 tackles
6.DT Tony Jerod Eddie. 2016 salary $1,000,000. 9 games played. 1 tackle.
7. WR Jeremy Kerley. 2016 salary $850,000. 16 games played. 13 games played. 64 receptions. 667 receiving yards. 3 touchdowns.
8. RB Shaun Draughn. 2016 salary. $860,000. 16 games played. 1 game starts. 74 rushes. 196 Rushing yards. 4 rushing touchdowns. 29 receptions. 263 Receiving yards. 2 receiving touchdowns.
9. LB Nick Bellore. 2016 Salary. $845,000. 14 games played. 10 games start. 1 interception for 4 yards. 5 passes deflected. 1 sack. 55 tackles.
10. QB Thad Lewis. 2016 Salary $760,000. Tore ACL in Preseason
11. WR Rod Streater. 2016 Salary $810,000. 16 games played. 2 games started. 18 Receptions. 191 Receiving Yards. 2 receiving touchdowns.
12. QB Christian Ponder. 2016 Salary. $800,000. No stats
13. G. Andrew Gardner. 2016 Salary $760,000. 1 game played. 1 game started.
14. TE Jim Dray. 2016 Salary. $760,000.(with San Francisco) 2 games played. 1 game started. No other stats.
15. Quinton Patton. 2016 Salary. $637,835. 14 games Played. 14 games started. 37 receptions. 408 reception yards.
49ers team stats
- 27th in Points scored per game with 19.3
- 31st in yards per game at 308.1
- 32nd in passing yards per game 181.9
- 4th in rushing 126.2
- 30th in 1st downs per game 17.9
- 32nd in Time of Possession per game 26.55
- 32nd points allowed on defense per game 30.
- 32nd in yards allowed per game 406.4
- 32nd in rushing yards allowed per game 165.9
- 14th in passing yards allowed per game 240.5
- 24th in the league for interceptions with 10 on the season
- 32nd in Interceptions Touchdowns with 0
- 20th in the Forced fumbles with 12
- 32nd in defensive touchdowns with 0
- 22nd in the league in sacks with 33.
Ok with all that out of the way, I want us fellow faithful to know that we are going to suck for years to come. You have to keep supporting them because we were there for all the big moments. Candlestick represented US. Levi’s represents THEM. Don’t jump off the bandwagon. What do you think? Please leave feedback.