By David Max
Well, that didn’t… escalate quickly. On a day that is circled on every hoop fans calendar, hopes were crushed and no splashes were made. Fans of both bad teams, and franchises that are a player away (maybe) didn’t do much. After all the rumors and speculation, mostly none of it came to fruition. Today was highlighted by such names as Channing Frye, Jeff Green, and Markieff Morris. Yup, it was the Day Of The Role Player. here are the “highlights”:
-The Los Angeles Clippers received Jeff Green from the Memphis Grizzlies for Lance Stephenson and a lottery protected 2019 first-round pick
-The Philadelphia 76ers received Joel Anthony and a 2017 second-round pick from the Houston Rockets for the rights to Chukwudiebere Maduabum
-The Atlanta Hawks received Kirk Hinrich from the Chicago Bulls for Justin Holiday and a second-round pick
– The Washington Wizards received Markieff Morris from the Phoenix Suns for DeJuan Blair, Kris Humphries and a protected first-round pick
– The Portland Trail Blazers absorbed Brian Roberts into cap space and received a second-round pick from the Miami Heat
– The Oklahoma City Thunder received Randy Foye from the Denver Nuggets for D.J. Augustin, Steve Novak and two second-round picks
-Three-team deal: The Cleveland Cavaliers received Channing Frye; the Orlando Magic received Jared Cunningham and a second-round pick (via Orlando); and the Portland Trail Blazers received Anderson Varejao and a top-10 protected 2018 first-round pick (via Cleveland)
– The Utah Jazz received Shelvin Mack from the Atlanta Hawks for a second-round pick
– The Detroit Pistons received Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton from the Houston Rockets for Joel Anthony and a protected 2016 first round pick
– The New Orleans Pelicans received Jarnell Stokes from the Miami Heat for a protected 2018 second-round pick
-The Detroit Pistons received Tobias Harris from the Orlando Magic for Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova
-Three-team deal: The Charlotte Hornets received Courtney Lee; the Memphis Grizzlies received Chris Andersen, P.J. Hairston, two conditional second-round picks (via Miami) and two future second-round picks (via Charlotte); and the Miami Heat received Brian Roberts
A good reason no big splashes happened, is teams are creating cap space for the 2016 free agency, headlined Kevin Durant . Should be a great summer filled with potential movement, and Conference shake-ups. Stay tuned….
Writer for TheCouchSports.com, LiveFromWoodward.com, & PTA. Editor, and Co-Host of The Couch Sports Podcast, and a Certified Beardsman.